Randy and Caroline

Randy and Caroline
A lovely July in Seattle!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Two down and two to go (in first round of Chemo)

I am very happy to report that I've survived two infusions of chemotheraphy so far!  The plan is for me to receive chemo every other week for a total of 8 weeks (four infusions in all) and then to wait another fortnight before I have another Computerized Tomography (CT or CAT) scan to see whether the chemo has been effective against my metastatic mucinous (and mutinous, as "Paddy" our iPad "corrected" its spelling appropriately recently) appendiceal adenocarcinoma.

So far, the side effects have been very mild, indeed.  After my most recent infusion this past weekend, the peripheral neuropathy in my fingertips and toes was a little more noticeable, as was the sensitivity to cold liquids that makes drinking iced drinks somewhat unpleasant.  I was warned by Nurse Ida that drinking iced drinks would feel like swallowing broken shards of glass, although it wouldn't really be causing me any physical harm.  When I drank an iced drink, it didn't feel like swallowing shards of glass, but the feeling was definitely unpleasant, almost like it was trying to trigger a gag reflex or something.  Reluctantly, I've decided to stay away from my beloved iced quad espresso from Starbucks until such sensations abate!  I fervently hope and pray that my tumors are being affected much more than I am!

2 comments:

  1. Well, how considerate of Mother Nature to send you some very atypical Houston temperatures to make a nice warm mocha latte or hot chocolate feel good going down! We hope your wing is continuing to mend, too...thinking of you in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, yes it's unseasonably cold for us down here in the Bayou City, even though it technically is still Winter! Our hot chocolate tonight tasted particularly good, helped no doubt by the sub-freezing temperatures outdoors! I'm happy to report that my peripheral neuropathy (induced by oxaliplatin) has abated enough that I'm once again able to eagerly consume my traditional daily iced quad espresso from Starbucks! Shares in Starbucks will shoot up, I'm sure, once investors hear that I'm drinking iced quad espressos once more! Hope all's well in Paris, Texas! Love, Randy

    ReplyDelete